FIRE SAFETY ADVISOR – ABERDEEN UNIVERSITY
Salary will be negotiable with placement according to qualifications and experience.
The candidate will have extensive experience of working in a large complex organisation with exposure to a broad background of work style activities and behaviours. A background which includes fire safety management in HE, FE or a local authority which has multiple locations, some historic and some new buildings as well as new build construction would be beneficial.
To support the University in the achievement of compliance with statutory legislative obligations and promotion of best practice with regards to Health, Safety and Wellbeing by the provision of competent advice, implementation of and development of approved Policies, Guidance and Procedures.
· Provides competent Health, Safety and Wellbeing advice to all areas of the University.
· Promotes and encourages the growth of a strong wellbeing and safety culture within the university by assisting with the implementation of approved policies, procedure and guidance.
· Supports staff and students in the resolution of health, safety and wellbeing related issues within the University, but specifically those areas with specialism for fire safety by being the first point of contact.
· Undertakes and reviews complex PAS79 fire safety risk assessments for the University estate.
· Lead fire safety adviser for events delivered and run by University staff and /or students.
· Act as the lead specialist contact with regulators, contractors and staff regarding fire safety management compliance.
· Works closely with contractors, academic and technical staff to ensure fire safety responsibilities and fire safety legislative obligations are met in relation to maintenance and repair.
· Undertakes monitoring and reporting upon the safety and management of fire safety to demonstrate compliance to regulatory bodies.
· Assists in the consultation, compilation and development process for the preparation of policies, procedures and guidance for formal approval.
· Assists in the development and delivery of effective health, safety and wellbeing training programmes.
· Undertakes and supports investigations into accident / incident / fire incident / false alarm investigations and prepares reports and findings as required.
· Assists with the implementation of the outcomes from accident / incident investigation reports and findings.
· Prepares statistical analyses and reports on health and safety data as required.
· Maintains a high quality up to date working knowledge of both general health and safety legislation and changes, particularly for their area of specialism – fire safety.
· Undertakes CPD and training required to develop and expand their knowledge and expertise.
· Supports the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Team response to emergency situations as required.
· Stands in for the Senior Health and Safety Adviser as required.
· Attends relevant meetings and committees as required.
· Assists in the delivery of health, safety and wellbeing promotions and campaigns.
The Health, Safety and Wellbeing team has the responsibility of providing expert advice and assistance to support each School/Support Service in the implementation of their own health and safety management systems.
The Health, Safety and Wellbeing team have two main areas of responsibility: safety and health and wellbeing.
The wellbeing of our staff and students is paramount in supporting the future success of the University of Aberdeen. We seek to deliver a proactive strategy providing interventions and activities to enhance the wellbeing of our community.
The position of Fire Safety Adviser is available on a flexible working arrangement and the hours of work can be part time (from 60% FTE) up to full time. For candidates seeking hours of work above 60%, wider responsibilities will also include health & safety duties.
Childcare- family friendly policy
Flexible working hours
This is a great opportunity please apply now!